Babysitter rates: Nowadays, reliable childcare has become so much harder to find for parents. Whether it’s an emergency appointment, evening out, or just needing a few hours to yourself, having easy access to local babysitters and nannies can make a world of difference.
That said, many parents are unsure how much they should be paying for babysitting or even how to find local babysitters. Bubble makes finding sitters incredibly easy and reliably on-demand by allowing you to chat with babysitters in advance, view how much they charge, and even handle payments through the app.
With thousands of sitters at parents’ fingertips, figuring out how much a babysitter costs and making sure they fit in with your family can take less time (and stress). We’ve compiled a list of average babysitting rates across the UK, based on which city you live in. Check them out:
Average babysitting rate per hour
As the above shows, the average babysitter rate fluctuates between £8 and £10, though several other factors can also affect your sitter’s rates. Whether finding a sitter through a trusted friend or reputable app, babysitters often adjust their rates based on different factors such as experience or travel distance.
Top factors that affect babysitter rates:
- Location. Depending on which part of the country you live in, a higher cost of living can affect your local babysitter rates. For example, babysitters in London charge slightly more on average (roughly £10-11) compared to those in other parts of the UK.
- Time. When booking a babysitter over the weekend, you can expect to pay slightly more than you would if booking a sit for a weekday afternoon. That said, there are some sitters that charge less for late-night sits, given that children are more likely to be asleep.
- Number of children. Sitters often charge more when looking after multiple children within a family. They often also vary their rates depending on how old the children are. We recommend asking individual sitters directly for more clarity on how they structure their rates.
- Sitter experience level. Experienced nannies typically charge more than casual or part-time sitters. If you’re looking for a babysitter or nanny with a specific skillset (such as maternity nurses or those with newborn experience) you can expect they will charge more than a student babysitting for part-time work.
- Extra household tasks. While some sitters are happy to help with domestic tasks such as ironing, cooking, or cleaning, this varies greatly on a case-by-case basis. The best thing to do is be upfront with sitter candidates and ask directly what they would be comfortable helping out with. Using Bubble, you can either schedule a in-person or virtual pre-sit interview, or simply start a conversations with your top sitter candidates via direct message.
What’s the average rate of a London babysitter?
Not surprisingly, the average babysitter rate in London is slightly higher than the rest of the UK and can even vary by borough. The average rate for a London sitter is around £10.50, but in more central locations, sitters may charge extra.
Finding the best sitter rates
The Bubble app connects parents with verified babysitters and nannies nearby, displaying their rates and availability. Parents can measure sits to the minute, meaning you only pay for the exact time spent on the sit – no more rounding up! Babysitters also set their own rates, so you can browse and book depending on whatever pricepoint you feel comfortable with. Unlike with agencies, we never charge parents any finders’ fees, and as a parent you can choose to either pay a one-off sit booking fee, or subscribe to save with zero booking or cancellation fees. Download the app for free on iOS and Android to find amazing, affordable sitters near you.
Settling up: a more reliable payment method
Whatever rate you decide on, most parents can agree that the post-sit handing over of cash can be a bit awkward at times. If you’re out slightly later than expected or don’t have the right change, you may end up paying the sitter more than expected. This is one of the reasons that parents love using Bubble to find a Babysitter. Cash-less payments streamline the end of a sit, so you can settle up without fumbling around for change. Given that the app calculates the exact length of the sit, parents only pay for the actual amount of time a sitter was there for. Many parents opt to tip their babysitter, but this is entirely up to you. Download the Bubble app on iOS or Android today, and join thousands of other parents finding the better way to do childcare.